National Consumer Protection Week: Protecting Your Computer
Computers and the internet have changed the way we live our lives. Unfortunately, they’ve also presented new opportunities for identity thieves to get hold of our information.
Make your computer safer with these tips:
- Protect and diversify your passwords. Don’t share them with anyone. Change them every three months. Don’t use the same password for multiple accounts.
- Avoid using file sharing programs. They can expose your computer to unwanted access by others.
- Install antivirus and antispyware software as well as a firewall. Make sure these remain up-to-date.
- Don’t respond to emails that ask you to provide personal information, like to confirm your account information or provide your Social Security number.
- Back-up important files and consider storing data on an off-site server in the cloud for added protection.
For more National Consumer Protection Week resources, visit www.ncpw.gov.